What States Require An Adjuster License?

Every day, we are asked which states require an insurance adjuster to hold a license.  If you wish to work claims in a particular state, it’s important to know the licensing requirements.  Every state has different requirements for claims adjusters.  Remember, you must always obtain a license in the state you wish to do work regardless of reciprocity. 

The following states require claims adjusters to be licensed:

Alabama Kentucky Oklahoma
Alaska Louisiana Oregon
Arizona Maine Rhode Island
Arkansas Michigan South Carolina
California Minnesota Texas
Connecticut Mississippi Utah
Delaware Montana Vermont
Florida Nevada Washington
Georgia New Hampshire West Virginia
Hawaii New Mexico Wyoming
Idaho New York  
Indiana North Carolina  

Email duane.weber@xeneros.net if you’d like a copy of this list.

Indiana was the most recent state to require an insurance adjuster to be licensed. Effective January 1st, 2012, if you intend to work claims in Indiana, you need to be licensed.

It’s also a surprise to many organizations that 19 states also require the business to  hold a business entity license in the state.  But that’s a topic for another day.

Arkansas Revises Licensing Renewal Requirements for Indiana Home State License-Holders

The following information pertains to adjusters who now hold an Indiana Resident License. 

Recently, the state of Arkansas sent out renewal notices to all their licensed adjusters. The notifications stated “Non-resident adjusters (licensed 2010 or earlier) who took the Arkansas adjuster exam and who are not licensed and required continuing education in their state of residence must complete continuing education in 2012.”

At the time of the notifications, Arkansas was unaware that Indiana had become a licensed state. If you are an adjuster living in the state of Indiana who is now a licensed resident adjuster in the state of Indiana, you will not be required to submit the Arkansas required continuing education, nor will you be required to pay the $20.00 Adjuster Continuing Education Filing Fee as noted on the renewal notice.

Arkansas is in the process of updating their licensing system to reflect Indiana as a licensed state. All non-licensed Arkansas adjusters who are now resident Indiana adjusters will only be required to meet the Indiana continuing education requirements. You can submit the notice you received from the state of Arkansas without the $20 CE filing fee.

I Have One License – How Do I Obtain More?

This is one of the most frequently asked questions by adjusters.  Most insurance adjusters acquire a license in Texas or their home state.  Then, after gaining some experience, many claims adjusters choose to obtain licenses in other states.   

Step one – Make sure you have a home state license.  If the state you reside in does not require a license you can designate one state as your home state. Currently, the NIPR system only recognizes certain states as “designated home states.” You will want to check with the state in which you are applying to make sure they are considered a DHS with the NIPR system. Texas, recognized as a DHS, is a popular state to obtain a home-state license from if you live in a state that doesn’t require a license. Please note that in order to designate Texas as your home state you will be applying for a resident license even if you are not a resident of the state.

Step Two– Does the state where you want to do work require a license?  Today, 34 states require adjusters to hold licenses.  Click Here to see a list of those states.

Step Three – Does the state you want to do work in have reciprocity with the state in which you currently hold your home state license? To determine whether or not your state has reciprocity, you will want to contact your license manager or go to the state’s licensing website.  Look carefully at the requirements. In all cases you will still have to complete the application and pay the fees to acquire your license. 

Step Four– Apply for the license.  Go to the state’s online system and apply for the additional license. Again, you must make sure you have a home state or designated home state license to do the applications electronically. If you don’t have a home state or designated home state license, you will need to check with the state to see if you must submit a standard NAIC form, which can be found through NIPR, or if the state has their own form which you need to complete.

After the application is accepted and the fees paid, you will then be able to work in the state.

Xeneros simplifies the license management process for organizations and individuals.  For more information check out www.xeneros.net/

Adjuster Licensing Reciprocity Clarified


As most seasoned claims adjusters know, reciprocity means that once you obtain a license in one state, Texas, for example, you can then obtain licenses in other states that have ‘reciprocity’ with that state.  This means that meeting the credentials in one state (Passing the test, taking CEUs, etc) will allow you to obtain a license in a state that reciprocates. 

What a lot of insurance adjusters do not know is that you still need to obtain the license in that particular state.  For example, holding a Texas license does not allow you to automatically work claims in Mississippi (who has reciprocity with Texas).  To work claims in a state that has reciprocity you still need to obtain a Non-Resident License in that state. 

Here’s another catch.  If you live in a state that requires a license, you will most likely have to take your home states exam even if you hold a license in a state that they reciprocate with. They will not issue you a resident license based off another state’s exam. There are a very few states which will waive this requirement.

Feel free to reply to this post or contact me duane.weber@xeneros.net with additional questions. Claims adjuster licensing is a very complicated matter and we’re happy to help sort it out for you.

North Carolina Renewal Notice

North Carolina has made available instructions regarding the license renewal of self-employed adjusters.  Payments are due March 31st and must be paid online. 

You can download the instruction by following this link: http://bit.ly/zVMLie

If you’re looking for an easier way to manage you licenses, Xeneros can help. 

Claims Licensing News – February Edition

Here are some newsworthy items from the world of claims adjuster licensing. 
  • Oregon: Beginning May 7, 2012 the State of Oregon will begin using the SBS (State Based Systems) for all transactions. View the press release here: http://bit.ly/yUr8Tf 
  • Georgia:  now requires EVERY individual, corporation, partnership, or other business entity submitting a license application to submit a Citizenship Affidavit Form. The form can be found on the GA DOI website.  Download it here: http://bit.ly/ylOF1u
  • Indiana:  summarized the 2011 legislative changes, noting the change to birth month license renewals for licensed producers and adjusters. A copy of the document can be found here:  http://bit.ly/xLFZ9J