Question Of The Week: Which State Has The Easiest Exam?

This question was recently posed to us and the answer, of course, is not that simple.  The following blog addresses this question.

When it comes down to which state has the easiest adjuster exam to take, you also want to take a look at which states’ license is going to benefit you the most as an adjuster.

If you live in a state that requires adjusters be licenses, you should always test in your home state and acquire that license first. Based off the exam you take in your home state, most states will also recognize your license and allow for reciprocity. To find out your state’s requirements simply visit their Department of Insurance website and look under adjuster licensing.

If your home state does not require a license the most sought after licenses are the Texas and the Florida licenses due to their reciprocity with other states. The Texas license offers many online courses. With the online course, you study and take the exam at the end of the course to receive your certificate of completion. You then submit all the required documentation, along with the licensing fee, to the state of Texas and they issue your license.

If you prefer a classroom setting, you may also want to check into companies such as Mile High Adjusters, and Vale Training, who offer classes to be trained as an independent adjuster.

Once you have a Texas all lines adjusting license it reciprocates with most other states that require a license. There are some misconceptions when it comes to reciprocity. Although Texas reciprocates with most states, this does not mean you can simply go into those states and work based on your Texas license. You must first complete the states application and submit their license fees. You will then be issued a license in their state which will make you eligible to work claims.

When it comes to renewals, many states simply require a renewal fee. However, there are states which do require you complete Continuing Education prior to renewal. All states are different. Some states will accept your home state requirement, even if it does not require CE’s, as meeting their requirement. There are others, such are Arkansas, who requires you complete their CE requirement regardless of your home states requirements.

Others still, such as New York or New Mexico, require a bond. You must secure a bond in order to acquire the license, and submission of the bond upon renewal of the license, or when the bond itself expires.

In review, the first step is to determine whether you’re your home state requires you to be licensed as an independent adjuster. If not, look into possibly obtaining the Texas license. Many states are not recognizing certain states as a “Designated Home State,” which makes applying for other licenses electronically much easier. Texas is one state which allows you to designate them as your home state. Without either a home state license or a designated home state, you will be required to submit paper applications to most states and they take anywhere from two to six weeks to process, whereas an electronic application can be processed in approximately 24-72 hours.

Xeneros helps organizations maintain independent adjuster licenses and the associated requirements.  Xeneros uses an innovative web-based software program which is supported and maintained by a knowledgeable compliance staff. For more information go to www.xeneros.net